TEHRAN-VIENNA, 19 Sept. (IPS) Hojjatoleslam Hasan Rohani, the Secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) announced on Sunday 19 September 2004 that Iran refuses any resolution which binds it to suspend its uranium enrichment process
"No organisation, including the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), enjoys the authority to deprive a country of its right to use nuclear technologies for peaceful purposes”, he told journalists in Tehran.
Earlier on the week, former Iranian president Ayatollah Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani had menaced the IAEA to take it to the International Court of Justice in case the Vienna-based United Nation’s nuclear watchdog decides on preventing the nation of acquiring nuclear energy for civilian uses.
Former Iranian president Ayatollah Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani had menaced the IAEA to take it to the International Court of Justice
"Any resolution which seek to bind us to suspension of uranium enrichment is unacceptable and we will not accept such an obligation", Mr. Rohani, a close aid to Iran’s leader, Ayatollah Ali Khameneh'i, observed, adding that Iran’s suspension of uranium enrichment had been “voluntary, aimed to show the country’s good faith”.
"The aim of the suspension which was announced last year ... was to build trust, but the situation today is different from last year since there is no ambiguity regarding our peaceful nuclear activities now," he added, commenting the latest resolution the Agency’s Board of Directors had approved on 18 September unanimously, but without vote taking.
The resolution urged Iran to suspend all activities related to uranium enrichment and reconsider its decision to start construction of a research reactor moderated by heavy water.
Mr Rohani repeated that Iran voluntarily suspended uranium enrichment for confidence building and to thwart the propaganda campaign against Iranian nuclear program.
"We will go ahead with confidence-building and will endeavour to build up our technical capability to restore our national rights in the context of the international conventions. This is our diplomacy to proceed with on both directions simultaneously," he said.
The 35 directors also decided that “at its November session, it will decided whether or not further steps are appropriate in relation to Iran’s obligations under its NPT Safeguards Agreement and to the requests made of Iran by the Board in this and previous resolutions”.
The document, a compromise between several draft proposals presented by Britain, France and Germany in the one hand, the United States, Australia and Canada on the other, notes “with serious concern’ that “as detailed in the Director General’s report, Iran has not heeded repeated calls from the Board to suspend, as confidence building measure, all enrichment-related and reprocessing activities”.
The United States had pressed its European allies to adopt a stronger line on Iran, including a so-called “trigger mechanism” and a 31 October deadline for the “automatic” transfer of the case to the United Nations Security Council for economic sanctions in case Tehran do not stand up to its obligations.
Washington had pushed to drop mention of countries' right to peaceful nuclear technology.
But under pressures from the Non Aligned Movement (NAM) members plus China, the Board decided to drop both US demands, a move that Mr. Mohammad Hoseyn Mousavian, the spokesman of Iran’s delegation described as a “defeat” for the United States.
However, he expressed his dissatisfaction with both the resolution, which he described as “illogical and political” and the European Union’s “big 3”, that he accused of breaching their part of the Tehran 21 October 2003 Agreement.
But IAEA's General Director Dr Mohammad ElBrade'i said the document was "balanced" and called on Iran to comply, saying that going ahead with the resolution was to "Iran's and the world's interests".
Any resolution which seek to bind us to suspension of uranium enrichment is unacceptable and we will not accept such an obligation
According to the Iranians, foreign affairs ministers of Britain, France and Germany had agreed to close Iran’s case at the IAEA and make sure that Tehran would get advanced nuclear technologies for civilian purposes against promise by Iran to sign the Additional Protocol to the Non Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and suspend enriching uranium.
But both the trio and the IAEA accuses the Islamic Republic that not only it had not suspended the activities, but has introduced more modern centrifuges and is planning to introduce 37 tonnes of yellow cake at its Uranium Conversion Facility.
"The suspension is not obligatory and is fully voluntary and the Islamic Republic of Iran has not undertaken any commitment for this suspension", the official Iranian news agency IRNA quoted the official, criticising the IAEA for combining the voluntary suspension of uranium enrichment with making it a binding for Iran.
Nevertheless, the resolution recognises the right of Iran to the development and practical application of atomic energy for peaceful purposes, including the production of electric power.
Iran says it plans to generate 7.000 megawatts of electricity from nuclear energy and to this aim; it has under construction a one-megawatt nuclear reactor in the Persian Gulf port of Booshehr with the help of Russia.
But both the Bush Administration and Israel allege that under the cover of producing electricity, Iran is after nuclear weapons.
Both the trio and the IAEA accuses the Islamic Republic that it had not suspended enriching uranium.
Concerning the US and Israel’s claims that Iran is going to test nuclear bomb in six months, he said that if they have any evidence to prove it they should show it to the board of governors.
"Iran has repeatedly announced that its nuclear program is merely peaceful and not military. We have never been interested in nuclear weapons”, insisted Mr Rohani, European’s trio and the IAEA’s main interlocutor.
For his part, Mr. Mousavian told Iran Press Service that Iran’s “main objective” was to prove to the world that the US allegations about Iran’s nuclear program were false.
“We have been successful to the effect up to the present day", he noted.
"We want to prove to the international community that our nuclear program is for civilian purpose. We have done a lot to do so, and will go on taking such actions in future too, because we are willing to develop better relationship with the international community. We don’t like confrontation and crisis", Rohani said.
Offering an olive branch, he referred to Iran’s nuclear case as a conflict and said that every conflict may either end up in victory or failure. “So far Iran has been successful”, he said, announcing at the same time that Iran has not shut the door yet to nuclear talks with the United States.
"We have already held negotiations with the Americans on various issues such as Afghanistan and Iraq in the presence of the United Nations and such negotiations on (Iran’s) nuclear file is not totally out of question" Rohani said, according to IRNA.
"If America drops its position of threats and asks for negotiations there will be room for consideration, but when they use their bullying approach, they spoil their own work”, he went on, adding, "Perhaps, when the three European countries announced their readiness for negotiations concerning Iran’s nuclear file, if the Americans had made similar announcement, we would have entered into negotiations with them".
Meanwhile, Iran's conservative-controlled Majles, or parliament again warned that it would not ratify the Additional protocol that allows tougher UN nuclear inspections after the International Atomic Energy Agency passed a tough resolution against the Islamic republic.
"The continued defiance of principles by the IAEA's board of governors leaves no room for us to ratify the additional protocol, and will lead us to question what is the point for the nation to leave its doors open for IAEA inspectors," said the statement read out in parliament. ENDS IRAN NUCLEAR 19904